- Whipped feta
1 pound feta cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup chopped jalapeño peppers
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 pound arugula
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
32 ounces ground lamb
8 ounces ground pork
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
6 sesame seed potato buns, toasted
6 ruby red tomato slices
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Make the whipped feta: Place the feta, jalapeño peppers, oil, black pepper, and lemon juice in a food processor or blender. Pulse on and off until smooth and creamy, about 4 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
- Make the yogurt: Toast the ground cumin in a dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly to prevent burning, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in the yogurt, lemon juice, honey, and salt. Set aside until ready to use.
- Make the burgers: Place the arugula in a bowl. In another bowl, mix together the olive oil and lemon juice. Toss with arugula. Set aside until ready to use.
- In another bowl, combine the lamb, pork, garlic, mustard, mint, parsley, onion, salt, pepper, and oregano, and mix very well. To make the patties, roll six 5-ounce lamb-pork balls and form each ball into a patty. Arrange on a tray and cover.
- Heat a large skillet or grill over medium-high heat and add just enough oil to cover until the the entire bottom. When the skillet (or grill) begins to smoke, reduce the heat to medium and place the patties into the skillet. Season the patties with salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Flip, and cook on the other side for another 3 minutes for medium-rare doneness.
- To assemble the burgers, spread a generous 2 tablespoons of the yogurt on 1 toasted bun bottom. Top with the patty, 1 tomato slice, a few onion slices, 2 tablespoons of whipped cheese, and some arugula. Cover with the bun top. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Makes 6 burgers.
- Main Dishes, Lamb
- North American