For gift-worthy presentation, decant the limoncello into a swing-top bottle.
- 11 lemons
- 1 750-ml bottle of Everclear, or other overproof grain spirit (140+ proof)
- 3 cups (21 ounces) granulated sugar
- 3 cups boiling water
- Peel wide strips of lemon zest (avoiding as much of the white pith as possible) with a sharp vegetable peeler; reserve lemons for another use. Add the lemon peels to a 1-liter (or larger) airtight container and top off with the Everclear.
- Let stand at room temperature in a dark place for at least 3 days and up to 1 week.
- After the infusing period is over, stir together the sugar and boiling water until the sugar has dissolved; allow to cool. Combine the lemon peel/Everclear solution with the sugar syrup in an airtight container (two if necessary, space wise) and refrigerate 1 day.
- Strain out the lemon peels and bottle. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Other, Drinks
- Makes about 2 quarts