- 5 tablespoons butter, plus more for the baking dish
1 pound elbow macaroni
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups whole milk
2 cups grated gruyere (8 ounces)
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar (6 ounces)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or some other shallow 3-quart baking dish.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Wipe out the past pot and melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes (do not let it darken). Still stirring, slowly add the milk. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce slightly thickens, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the gruyère, cheddar, cayenne, and 1½ teaspoon salt and cook just until the cheeses melt. Mix in the pasta. Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Pasta/Noodle, Side Dishes
- North American