Don't overmix the tempura batter, and be sure to mix it just before frying; preparing this ahead of time will result in a heavy batter.
- Vegetable oil, for frying
1 cup flour
Pinch of salt
3 cups very cold water
1/4 bunch maitake (hen of the woods) mushrooms, separated into bite-sized pieces
- In a large saucepan, heat about 4 inches of oil on medium heat, or until a frying thermometer reads 325ºF.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, egg, salt, and cold water; lightly dip maitake mushroom pieces into batter.
- Transfer mushrooms into batter, working in batches and turning occasionally, until mushrooms are golden, about 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve immediately.
Makes 1 serving.
- Vegetables, Side Dishes