- 12 large eggs
- 3 jarred roasted red peppers, finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco (optional)
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into small triangles, for garnish
- 2 scallions, dark-green parts only, cut into small triangles, for garnish
- Fresh chives, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, for garnish
- Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside.
- Put eggs into a medium saucepan, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to ice-water bath.
- When eggs are cool, peel, and cut in half lengthwise. Carefully remove yolks, keeping whites intact and transferring whites and yolks to separate bowls. Refrigerate whites.
- Add roasted peppers, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, and hot sauce (if desired) to yolks. Mash with a fork until smooth. Cover, and refrigerate until stiff, about 30 minutes.
- Mound yolk mixture in each egg-white half. Garnish with bell pepper, scallions, and chives to make devilish faces.
Makes 2 dozen.
- Appetizers, Finger Foods