When I first started cooking, I thought homemade mayonnaise was incredibly intimidating. The traditional method, which involves whisking oil drop by drop into egg yolks, sounds like an arm ache waiting to happen!
Luckily, modern technology allows home cooks to enjoy the luxury of creamy and rich mayonnaise without working up a sweat. If you have a food processor or immersion blender, mayonnaise takes only a feel minutes to put together.
The resulting condiment is unlike any jarred mayo; it's thick, but light and perfect for making dips or spreading on sandwiches. In the end, I've realized it's quite easy to make homemade mayonnaise! Want to give it a try? Here's the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1/4 cups canola oil
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a blender or food processor, combine the lemon juice, egg, egg yolk, salt, and mustard and process on low speed for 15 seconds.
- With the blender running, add the canola oil, a few drops at a time, until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Then, add the remaining canola oil and the olive oil in a thin, steady stream and process continuously until the mixture becomes thick and opaque in color, 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the mayonnaise to a small bowl, cover tightly, and refrigerate. Use within 4 days.
Makes 1 3/4 cups.
- Other, Condiments/Sauces
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.