- 1 pound ground round or sirloin
2/3 cup panko or regular dried breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons minced fresh sage or 1 1/2 tablespoons dried and crumbled
1 large egg
Freshly ground black pepper
12 slices French bread, 3/4 inch thick
2 tablespoons olive oil
About 1/2 cup spicy ketchup or tomato chutney, or a spicy tomato-vegetable spread like Ajvar (see Note)
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine the ground meat, panko, Parmesan, sage, egg, and a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Work the meat to thoroughly incorporate all the ingredients and form into 12 two-inch sliders.
- Place the bread slices on a plate and drizzle both sides with the oil.
- Preheat a grill for high direct heat, about 425 degrees F. Place a clean grill rack on the grill and let it get hot for about 3 minutes.
- Cook the sliders for about 4 minutes on each side, covered, for medium-rare and up to 5 or 6 minutes for well done. During the last minute, place the oiled bread on the grill for about 30 seconds on each side, or until golden brown and lightly toasted.
- Place the toast on a large serving plate. Spoon 1 teaspoon of the tomato ketchup or chutney on each piece of bread and spread. Top with a slider and serve hot.
Makes 12 sliders.
Note: You can find spicy ketchup, tomato chutney, and Ajvar or Lutenica at specialty food shops. You can also simply spike a store-bought ketchup with hot pepper sauce until it is spicy.
- Main Dishes, Beef
- North American