- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound ground lamb
12 large shallots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and root ends trimmed but kept intact
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Warm pita bread, for serving
- Light a grill. In a medium bowl, gently knead the crème fraîche, garlic, salt, and pepper into the ground lamb. Using moistened hands, roll the ground lamb mixture into 16 balls. Using 8 short metal skewers (10 inches or less), alternate 3 shallot halves with 2 lamb balls on each. Brush the kebabs with the olive oil and grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned on the outside (but not cooked through), about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the kebabs to a very large (12 to 14 inches) deep skillet. Add the water, 1 teaspoon of the pomegranate molasses, and the lemon juice; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently over low heat until the shallots are very tender and the meatballs are cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Uncover and increase the heat to high. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of pomegranate molasses and cook, basting occasionally, until the meatballs and shallots are glazed, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the kebabs to a platter and drizzle with any remaining sauce. Garnish with the scallions and parsley and serve with warm pita bread.
- Main Dishes, Lamb
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern
- Serves 4