Mediterranean-inspired feast. When you read those words, what do you picture? An afternoon (or two!) slaving away in the kitchen? Think again! With this recipe you can offer friends and family a hearty Mediterranean meal in a matter of minutes. Sure, you'll have to take some help from the grocery store, but really, sometimes we all make a few cheats in the kitchen here and there. Quick-cooking couscous is tossed with veggies and served alongside spicy beef patties. Purchase hummus, tapenade, and pita bread, and you'll you be feasting in no time. Get the recipe now.
- 1 10-ounce box couscous
- 1 pound ground beef
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 4 Roma (plum) tomatoes, quartered
- 1 seedless cucumber, sliced into half-moons
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 8-ounce container hummus (optional)
- Place the couscous in a medium bowl and pour 1 1/2 cups hot tap water over the top. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Form the beef into 12 small 1/2-inch-thick patties. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the cumin, and oregano.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook to desired doneness, 4 minutes per side for medium.
- Combine the couscous, scallions, tomatoes, cucumber, lemon juice, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the remaining oil in a large bowl.
- Divide among individual plates. Serve with the burgers and hummus, if desired.
- Main Dishes, Beef
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern