- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 ripe avocados, coarsely chopped
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, 1 can drained but not rinsed, 1 can drained and rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/2 cup flour
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a nonreactive bowl, whisk together the olive oil, mayonnaise, lime juice, sugar and cumin; season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the dressing and the avocados and mash until smooth; set the guacamole aside.
- In a food processor or blender, process the unrinsed black beans, the eggs, chopped cilantro, cumin, salt and hot sauce until combined. Stir in the flour and the rinsed black beans.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Working in batches, drop rounded tablespoons of the black bean mixture into the pan and fry, turning once, until crisp, about 4 minutes on each side; add more oil between batches if necessary.
- Top the black bean cakes with the guacamole and cilantro leaves.
- Appetizers, Finger Foods