Get some help from your slow cooker to create these simple and fab Crock-Pot chicken taco bites. They're great for a party or just for hanging around the house. You'll get no judgment from me!
This chicken is so easy — you literally put a can of salsa-style tomatoes, a bit of salsa, some taco sauce, and seasonings with boneless skinless chicken thighs in the Crock-Pot, crank it up, and in seven hours, you have the most tender chicken around. Not to mention dinner for the entire week.
I love putting this chicken on salads, soft tortillas, nachos, and of course, these teeny tiny taco bites. I made these taco bites over the weekend for our game-day enjoyment. And by game-day enjoyment, I mean getting fired up over last-minute switches to our fantasy football teams only to have our starters completely fall apart on the field. I don't know why I bother playing.
Oh right, the food. Gives me an excuse to whip up a bunch of mini party food. Seriously, I'm such a sucker for mini food. Maybe it's a complex that has to do with being barely five foot, one inch. Whatevs. Cute = delicious in my mind.
This recipe makes a large batch of chicken. Use the extra chicken to fill burritos, top salads, or make entrée-style tacos throughout the week. When assembling the taco bites, chicken can be cold and pulled straight from the fridge. It will reheat in the oven while the shells are baking.
- For the chicken:
1 15-ounce can salsa-style fire-roasted tomatoes
1/3 cup chunky salsa
2 tablespoons taco sauce
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Black pepper, to taste
- For the taco bites:
15 frozen mini phyllo-dough shells
1 ear of corn, kernels removed
3/4 cup romaine lettuce, finely shredded
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup Mexican-style shredded cheese
1/4 cup light sour cream
- Make the chicken: Add the tomatoes, salsa, and taco sauce to a slow cooker. Arrange the chicken thighs in a single layer on top of the tomato mixture. Sprinkle the chicken with the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until fork tender.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken, and stir it into the sauce.
- Make the taco bites: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the phyllo shells on a rimmed baking sheet. Fill each shell with about 1 tablespoon of chicken mixture. Bake for 10 minutes or until the shells are warm.
- Divide the remaining ingredients between the baked taco bites, and serve.
- Appetizers, Finger Foods
- North American
- 15 bites