- 2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
Pinch of salt
2 bunches fresh mint
1 cup sugar
8 large egg yolks
several drops of green food coloring, optional
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Combine the cream, milk, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and add the mint. Remove from heat and let steep at least 1 hour and up to overnight, covered in the refrigerator.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar and yolks; set aside. Remove mint from cream mixture, and discard. Bring the milk mixture just to a simmer. Using a measuring cup or a ladle, slowly pour about 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg-yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Keep adding milk mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time until it has all been added.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 3 to 5 minutes The custard should retain a line drawn across the back of the spoon with your finger. Pour through a fine sieve into a medium bowl set in the ice bath. Stir occasionally until cooled. Once cooled, stir in several drops of green food coloring, if using, until a pale mint green color is achieved. Cover and transfer to refrigerator until chilled at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturers' instructions until set, but not hard. When the ice cream is almost done, add the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the soft ice cream to a plastic container, freeze at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
Makes 1 1/2 quarts.
- Desserts, Ice cream
- North American