Just as Derby pie should be your go-to Derby dessert, there's only one drink to enjoy on the day of the Kentucky Derby: the mint julep. If you've never had the official beverage of the race, what are you waiting for? Don't waste another minute of your life without sipping this well-balanced and refreshing concoction. The classic recipe consists of mint, bourbon, and simple syrup, but this year I'm going to experiment with a variation that involves fresh-squeezed lime juice and fizzy club soda. To take a look at the recipe,
- 8 mint leaves, plus 3 mint sprigs
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1/2 ounce Simple Syrup
- 2 1/2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ounce chilled club soda
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1 lime wedge
- In a highball glass, muddle the mint leaves with the lime juice and Simple Syrup.
- Add the bourbon and club soda, then fill the glass with the crushed ice. Using a swizzle stick or bar spoon turned between both hands, swizzle for 10 seconds. Garnish with the mint sprigs and the lime wedge.
- Drinks, Cocktails
- North American