I've been trying to figure out what to make with leftover fennel, and I've finally found the perfect recipe. It highlights the sweet, delicate notes of anise in fennel and the grassy, lemony scent of dill. This dish can be easily modified: Add protein with chicken, another textural element with cubes of ricotta salata, and crunch with almond slivers. To put the salad together,
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 8 ounces orzo (1 1/4 cups)
- 2/3 cup (packed) chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups 1/3-inch cubes unpeeled English hothouse cucumber (about 8 ounces)
- 3/4 cup diced fresh fennel bulb
- Cook green beans in large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer beans to plate.
- Add orzo to same boiling water. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally; drain.
- Blend dill, oil, vinegar, and lemon juice in mini processor until almost smooth. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Cut beans crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Place in large bowl. Add orzo, cucumber, and fennel; mix in dressing. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pasta, Main Dishes
- North American