Tonight, treat your family to a trip to China with this delicious pork dish. Although the ingredient list may look long, many of the components — like shredded carrots and sliced mushrooms — can be purchased from the store to save time.
The actual cook time is quite quick, thus it's important to have everything prepped in advance. Once you heat the wok, the meat, veggies, and seasonings are added in succession. The resulting pork is flavorful and succulent. Want the recipe? Please keep reading.
- 1/2 pound pork tenderloin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten well
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups shredded napa cabbage, or 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- Cut the pork crosswise, against the grain, into thin slices. Stack the slices and cut them lengthwise into shreds. Put the pork in a medium bowl, add soy sauce, and toss to season it evenly. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the chicken stock, sherry, salt, and sugar, and stir to mix everything well.
- In another small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch and stir to mix evenly, leaving the spoon in the bowl so you can give it a final stir. Place a medium bowl by the stove to hold the eggs after they are scrambled.
- Heat a wok or a large, deep skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil, and swirl to coat the pan.
- Add the eggs, and swirl to spread them out over the surface of the pan. Cook until the edges begin to set, and then gently pull them in and lift them up to expose most of the liquid to the hot pan. Toss gently, scooping and turning to let the eggs cook into soft moist lumps. Transfer the eggs to the bowl and set aside. (Underdone is better than dry, as it will go back into the pan at the end of cooking.)
- Let the pan heat up again, and then add the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Swirl to coat the pan. Add the garlic and ginger and toss well until fragrant. Add the pork and spread it out into a single layer. Cook 30 seconds undisturbed, and then toss well.
- Add the carrots and mushrooms and toss well. Cook, tossing often, until the pork has changed color, and the carrots and mushrooms are shiny and softening, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the napa cabbage and cook, tossing often, until it brightens in color and begins to soften, about 1 minute more.
- Add the chicken stock mixture and cook, tossing often, until the pork is cooked through and the vegetables are tender but not limp, 1 to 2 minutes more. Give the cornstarch mixture a good stir, add it to the pan, and toss well just until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the sesame oil and green onion, along with the scrambled eggs, and toss gently just to mix everything well. Transfer to a serving platter and serve hot or warm.
- Main Dishes, Pork