- 12 ounces multigrain or whole-wheat elbow macaroni (3 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
Kosher salt and pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3 1/2 cups grated cheddar (12 ounces)
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and the parsley (if desired). Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the saucepan and melt the remaining tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has slightly thickened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the cheddar and ½ teaspoon salt and whisk until the cheese melts. Stir in the macaroni. Divide among bowls and sprinkle with the bread crumbs.
- Pasta, Main Dishes
- North American