- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
9 bulb Spring onions or 4 sweet onions, very thinly sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup white wine vinegar
1 baguette, thinly sliced
1 round or log (5 to 6 ounces) fresh creamy goat cheese, at room temperature
- In a medium skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onions and plenty of salt. Cook over low heat, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until the onions start to soften.
- Add the lemon rind and juice, sugar, and vinegar. Continue cooking over low heat, stirring often, for 45 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread until golden. Spread each round with goat cheese.
- Taste the onion mixture for seasoning and add pepper and more salt, if you like. Let the onion mixture sit for 20 minutes or until it is no longer very hot. Spoon some onto each of the toasts and sprinkle with more pepper.
Serves 8 as an appetizer.
- Appetizers, Crostini
- North American