The other day TeamSugar member JessNess asked the Kitchen Goddesses for some help. She was looking for an easy, versatile recipe for tasty marinated, grilled vegetables. When veggies are grilled, they're given a smoky flavor, yet all of the sugars manage to shine through. Pair with everything from barbequed chicken to hamburgers. Unlike meat, veggies marinate quickly, so if you're short on time choose vegetables that are in season. Douse them with marinade and throw on the grill. You can't let summer pass without adding this recipe to your collection so,Marinated Grilled Vegetables From Reader's Digest magazine 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 1/4 cup white or red wine vinegar 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest 3 tablespoons lime juice 3/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sugar 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce 1/4 teaspoon black pepper 1 1/2 pounds eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, sweet peppers, or portobello mushrooms or a combination, prepared for grilling
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients except vegetables.
- Place grill-ready vegetables (except mushrooms) in a self-sealing plastic bag and pour in marinade.
- Seal and turn to coat vegetables. Refrigerate, turning occasionally for up to 4 hours.
- Remove vegetables from the bag and reserve the marinade.
- Preheat the grill. Oil grill to prevent sticking. Place vegetables directly over medium to medium-hot coals -- about 5 inches from the heat -- and grill, turning and brushing occasionally with marinade.
- Grill thick slices of zucchini or yellow squash, eggplant, whole tomatoes, mixed vegetables on skewers for 15 to 20 minutes: and whole zucchini, summer squash, large mushroom caps for 20 to 25 minutes.