On Tuesday night I had the honor of attending the Barneys opening after party. Barneys, the New York fashion mecca, has finally opened their doors here in San Francisco. To celebrate their arrival, a blowout bash was thrown in clear plastic tents, in Union Square, several blocks from the store.
- The party's 70s glam, meets Las Vegas showgirl theme, was set by the invitation:
You would be insane to miss the Barneys New York Opening After Party
Burlesque Glamour - Mardi Gras Realness - A Disco-Inferno
- The Look was an interesting mix of sleek, lux, and casual accents. Disco balls, sunflowers, silver accents and graffiti abounded. The ground was covered in a lush carpeting and deep purple banquets offered a nice space for lounging.
- The Menu was originally meant to be an all dessert one, but instead there was a full buffet meal catered by Quince and chef Michael Tusk. There was creamy pasta with mushrooms, incredibly juicy smoked duck, and a scrumptious heirloom tomato stuffed with cheese and basil. When the desserts were finally rolled out, I could not stop popping the fabulous chocolate truffles in my mouth.
- The music was a mix of classic hits, like Prince's "Kiss," and current favs, such as Rihanna's "Umbrella". FabSugar and I danced the night away and were both wonderfully surprised when we looked over and realized Simon Doonan — Barneys creative director — and Jonathan Adler — interior designer extraordinaire — were dancing beside us!
If you live in the Bay Area, be sure to check out the new store. If you don't, browse through the pictures of the event and read my tips on how to host a similar party in your own home! Just
- Invite friends to come over for an after dinner dance party. Create a glittery invite and encourage guests to come dressed extravagantly — 80s bow hats encouraged!
- Serve an all dessert menu. Make a few of your favorite finger food desserts and stock up on goodies from your local bakery.
- Decorate with disco balls, silver accents, and lots of mirrors. Fill every vase you own with fresh cut sunflowers.
- Create a playlist of quintessential dance hits and let the party begin!!