Last Thursday night, I was invited to a fundraiser that kicked off Breast Cancer Awareness month. Put on by the organization Beats For Boobs, the event was a celebration of art, fashion, food, and music with the focus on breast cancer awareness. The annual fundraiser began in 2003 as a reaction to event producer Juliana Cochnar's mother's diagnosis with breast cancer.
- The Invite: In flyer form with the image shown at left. It stated that guests wear pink... and lots of it!
- The Look: An over the top explosion of all things pink. Tons of fresh, beautiful pink floral arrangements, pink tablecloths, pink ribbons, pink silverware, napkins, etc.
- The Menu: A smörgåsbord of scrumptious, slow roasted pork tenderloin chunks; fresh vegetarian spring rolls; sticky sweet barbequed chicken wings; crunchy crudites with creamy dips; cheeses; crackers; and much much more. For dessert they had cupcakes with candies in the shape of nipples for garnish!
- The Music: A rowdy mix of remixed hits, bumping beats, and smooth house. To promote feminine empowerment, the DJs were all female.
To check out all the pictures I took — there was a fire dancer! — and to see my tips on how to host a breast cancer party in your own home,
- Invite friends to come over for a cocktail style bash. Create an all pink invite and encourage guests — boys and girls — to come "pinked out." Ask guests to make a donation to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation. When friends arrive, ask them a trivia question that relates to breast cancer knowledge. For example, at what age should you start to get a mammogram? (Answer: 40) Remind guests of the importance of performing a self examination each month.
- Decorate with everything pink. Check out your local party supply store. Most will have plenty of breast cancer themed goodies. Streamers, balloons, ribbons, etc. all of it should be in shades of pink. Fill vases with your favorite pink flowers.
- Serve a selection of your favorite foods. Offer a little bit of everything from meats to cheeses to crackers, breads, olives, and veggies. Get pink plates, silverware, and napkins.
- Play a mix of your current favorite songs and get the party started!