A delightful alternative to the classic caprese salad, these skewers are bite-sized pieces of heaven. The recipe couldn't be easier, and the simplicity highlights the pure flavor of ripe tomatoes and fresh cheese. To make these easy appetizers, I tossed pieces of bocconcini, or mozzarella balls, with homemade pesto. The next time I make them, I want to use longer, fancy toothpicks. To get the recipe to this delicious dish,
- For pesto:
- 1 bunch fresh basil, leaves removed from stems
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4-1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- For skewers
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 1 pint fresh mozzarella, chopped into small 1-inch cubes
- Toothpicks, for serving
- Make the pesto: Combine the first four ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Process to combine. With the machine running, slowly add the oil in a steady stream.
- Season with salt and pepper. Taste, adjust the pesto to your liking.
- In a large bowl toss 1/2 cup of the pesto with the cheese.
- Depending on the size of your toothpicks, skewer one cherry tomato and one piece of pesto-coated cheese. Repeat until all of the tomatoes and cheese is used. Chill or serve immediately.
- Vegetables, Appetizers