- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, finely diced
1 tablespoon chopped sweet onion
4 ounces thinly-sliced prosciutto
1/2 a boneless, skin-on turkey breast (about 1-1/2 pounds)
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
4 ounces artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, combine the artichokes, shiitake mushrooms, and onion; set aside. With skin side down, cut a lengthwise slit through the thickest portion of turkey to within 1/2 inch of bottom. Open turkey breast so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap or wax paper, then pound to 3/4-inch thickness.
- Remove and discard plastic; brush unsalted butter across turkey, then sprinkle evenly with dried thyme.
- Spoon vegetable mixture evenly across buttered turkey breast, leaving a half-inch border uncovered on all sides. (Don't mound the vegetable mixture, or the turkey will be difficult to roll.)
- Beginning at one end, roll the turkey like a jelly roll and tuck in any filling that tries to escape from the sides.
- Carefully wrap prosciutto slices around the turkey roll, overlapping if necessary to cover the entire outer skin of the turkey. Tie the roast firmly with kitchen twine every 2 inches.
- Place the roast on a foil-covered sheet pan. Bake, uncovered, until a meat thermometer reads 170ºF when inserted, about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Cover and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Makes 8 1-1/2" thick slices (about 4 servings).
- Poultry, Main Dishes
- North American