- For the bread pudding:
2 cups half and half
1 15-ounce can pumpkin purée
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed golden brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
10 cups 1/2-inch cubes of challah bread (about 10 ounces)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
- For the caramel sauce:
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup unsalted butter or 1 stick
1/2 cup whipping cream
- Powdered sugar
- For the bread pudding: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together the half and half, pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and vanilla in a large bowl. Fold in the cubed challah bread and dried cranberries.
- Divide evenly between six ramekins.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until tester inserted into center comes out clean.
- For the caramel sauce: Meanwhile, whisk together the brown sugar and butter in a heavy medium saucepan set over medium heat until butter melts. Whisk in cream, and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved and the sauce is smooth, about three minutes.
- Drizzle the bread pudding with caramel sauce, and sprinkle with powdered sugar; serve warm.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Casseroles
- North American
- Serves 6