- 2 cups short-grain or Arborio rice
6 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup dark brown sugar (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine the rice, milk, sugar, vanilla bean, orange zest, orange juice, and salt. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and most (but not all) of the liquid is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Discard the vanilla bean. Stir in the pumpkin. The recipe can be made ahead to this point.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days ahead. To rewarm, stir in an additional 1 1/2 cups milk and stir gently over medium-low heat. Serve warm, sprinkled with the brown sugar if desired.
- Desserts, Puddings/Mousse
- North American