Chances are you've spent the past week trying to eat healthy. To encourage you to continue down this path, I thought I'd share my favorite tofu recipe. It's a simple pan-fried tofu with a rich, flavorful, Asian-inspired sauce. Sliced green onions and sesame seeds finish off the dish, while providing a much-needed crunch. Even if you've never made tofu, give this recipe a try; it's totally uncomplicated. Tofu is like chicken in the sense that it takes on the flavor of the surrounding ingredients. Thus, the sauce, a mixture of peanut butter, soy sauce, and rice vinegar, is key. Serve with brown rice, broccoli, or noodles. Get the recipe to this vegetarian dinner option, after the break.
- Tofu Triangles:
1 carton firm tofu, drained
2 tablespoons peanut or sesame oil, for frying
2 scallions including the greens, thinly sliced on the diagonal
1 tablespoon toasted white or black sesame seeds
The Creamy Nut Butter Sauce:
1/4 cup regular soy sauce
1 tablespoon tamari
1/4 cup sesame paste, peanut butter, or cashew butter
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons white or light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or chili oil
2 scallions, finely chopped
1/3 cup water or stock
- Slice the tofu crosswise into scant 1/ 2-inch slabs, then cut each slab into 2 triangles. Blot with paper towels.
- Heat a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet and add the oil. When hot, add the tofu and fry over medium-high heat until golden. Turn and cook on the second side.
- Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small food processor and puree until smooth. Taste for salt and add a little extra, if needed.
- When the tofu is done, pour in half the sauce and cook until bubbling and partially reduced.
- Turn off the heat, scatter the scallions and sesame seeds over the top, and bring to the table. Serve the rest of the sauce over brown rice, noodles, or whatever you choose as an accompaniment.
- Main Dishes, Tofu
- Other Asian
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.