Fresh berries and flaky puff pastry are always a winning combination. To keep up with our berry tempting recipe series, I made mini blueberry-vanilla cream cheese pies that are simple and delicious. I was a little zealous while filling them and clearly overdid it — thus, my pies popped open during baking. Regardless, they were still mighty tasty!
This recipe is a great staple to have on hand when you want to impress guests with pastries. Feel free to substitute another berry or flavor the cream cheese mixture with citrus zest or a different extract. My next round will be raspberries with a lemony cream cheese. Get started on your own pocket pies by reading more.
- 2 17.3 ounce packages frozen puff pastry
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
7 tablespoons granulated sugar
seeds scraped from 1/2 vanilla bean
2 large egg yolks
1 cup blueberries
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons creme de cassis or red wine
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Confectioner's sugar for finishing
- Thaw 3 sheets of puff pastry overnight in refrigerator.
- Position racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven and heat the oven to 375 F.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, the vanilla bean seeds and 1 of the egg yolks. Mix with a wooden spoon until well combined and smooth.
- Combine the blueberries, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the cornstarch, creme de cassis or red wine and salt in another medium bowl and mix gently.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each pastry sheet into a 10 inch square. Using a 4 inch round or square cutter, cut out 4 rounds from each sheet. Arrange them on parchment-lined rimmed baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, beat the remaining egg yolk with 1 teaspoon of water. Brush the outer edge of each pastry round with the egg wash. Dollop 1/2 tablespoon of cream cheese mixture in the center of each round. Top with 1 tablespoon of the blueberry mixture.
- Fold in half and pinch the edges to seal them. Lightly brush each pie with egg wash and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the remaining sugar. With the tip of a pairing knife cut a steam vent in the center of each pie.
- Bake until golden brown about 25 minutes, swapping and rotating the baking sheets' position about halfway through. Cool slightly on the baking sheets and then transfer to a cooling rack. Before serving sprinkle the pies with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
- Desserts, Pies/Tarts
- North American