- 1 chicken, about 4 1/2 lb., cut into 8 pieces, back and wings discarded
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 Tbs. plus 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
10 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup dry white wine
1-1/2 cups chicken broth
4 fresh sage sprigs, plus 2 Tbs. finely chopped sage
3-1/2 lb. Early Girl tomatoes, cored
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In the stovetop-safe insert of a slow cooker over medium-high heat, warm the 2 Tbs. olive oil. Add the chicken, skin side down, and brown, turning once, 7 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion to the insert, reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until just golden, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and simmer for 1 minute. Add the 1/3 cup olive oil and the broth, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken, skin side up, in the insert and tuck the sage sprigs in between. Place the tomatoes on top and bring the mixture to a simmer. Place the insert in the slow-cooker base, cover and cook on low until the meat nearly falls off the bone, about 3 hours.
- Using a spoon, transfer the chicken, tomatoes, some of onion-garlic mixture and braising juices to a platter. Garnish with the chopped sage and serve immediately.
- Poultry, Main Dishes
- North American