- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup honey
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 large apple, cored and grated
12 whole blanched almonds (I used dry-roasted almonds, which I had on hand)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. In a small bowl, combine coffee and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat honey, sugar, and oil until well blended. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until mixture looks homogenized. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Beat flour mixture into honey mixture alternately with coffee mixture until well combined. Stir in apple.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Place almonds on top of batter, to mark the center of each of 12 squares.
- Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.
- Desserts, Cake