- Coconut Pecan Custard
- 1/2 can (6 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 package (3.5 ounces) sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 4 ounces Baker's German's or semisweet chocolate, broken into squares or coarsely chopped
- Chocolate Pudding
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Make the coconut pecan custard: Mix the milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks, and vanilla in a large saucepan. Cook on medium heat for 12 minutes or until thickened and golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the coconut and pecans; mix well. Cool to room temperature and desired spreading consistency. This makes 2 cups frosting.
- Make the chocolate pudding: In a large metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate, stirring often. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and cream just to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks into the melted chocolate, then gradually whisk in the milk and cream. Return the bowl over the simmering water and cook the pudding, stirring often, until it thickens, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Divide half of the pudding among 4-6 custard cups or cappuccino cups. Top each serving with a scant tablespoon of the custard. Top with the remaining pudding, then with a teaspoon-size dollop of the custard. Cover with plastic wrap and chill before serving.
- Desserts, Puddings/Mousse