- For the cake:
4 ounces fresh ginger
1 cup mild molasses
1 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil, preferably peanut
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup water
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 eggs, at room temperature
For the filling:
1 1/2 cups chilled heavy cream
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon spiced Rum, optional
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
For the drizzle:
12 ounces Nestle semisweet chocolate morsels
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon light corn syrup
- Make the cake: Position the oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 by 3-inch round cake pan or a 9 1/2 inch springform pan with a circle of parchment paper.
- Peel, slice, and chop the ginger very fine with a knife (or use a grater).
- Mix together the molasses, sugar, and oil. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper.
- Bring the water to the boil in a saucepan, stir in the baking soda, and then mix the hot water into the molasses mixture. Stir in the ginger.
- Gradually whisk the dry ingredients into the batter. Add the eggs, and continue mixing until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for about 1 hour, until the top of the cake springs back lightly when pressed or a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If the top of the cake browns too quickly before the cake is done, drape a piece of foil over it and continue baking.
- Cool the cake for at least 30 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen it from the pan. Remove the cake from the pan and peel off the parchment paper.
- While cake cools, make the filling: In a large cold bowl, combine the cream, pumpkin pie spice, Rum, sugar and vanilla. Beat until the cream forms soft peaks.
- Make the drizzle: Place chocolate morsels and cream in a heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until combined and thickened, between 20 and 25 minutes. Increase the heat to medium low; cook, stirring, 3 minutes more. Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in corn syrup. Transfer frosting to a large metal bowl.
- Let cool for an hour.
- To assemble the cake: Slice the cake in half evenly with a serrated knife. Place the cake on a serving platter.
- Drizzle a thin layer of chocolate over the cake and spread to smooth. The chocolate should seep into the cake.
- Scoop 1 heaping cup of whipped cream onto the bottom cake layer. Spread, covering the cake with a thick layer of cream, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edges.
- Top with the other cake layer and the remaining whipped cream.
- Liberally drizzle the chocolate ganache over the top and sides of the cake. Serve immediately.
- Desserts, Cake
- North American