- 2 cups Guinness (16 ounces)
2 cups heavy cream
1-3/4 cups whole milk
15 large egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar
Chocolate-covered pretzels, for serving
- In a large saucepan, combine the Guinness with the cream and milk and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar. Gradually add the hot Guinness cream to the yolks, whisking constantly until well blended.
- Pour the mixture into the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly until it coats the back of a spoon, about 6 minutes; do not let it boil. Pour the custard into a medium bowl set in a large bowl filled with ice water. Let stand until the custard is cold, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Pour the custard into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions (this may have to be done in 2 batches). Pack the ice cream into an airtight container and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- Spoon the ice cream into bowls and top with some chocolate-covered pretzels. Serve at once.
Makes 10 cups.
- Desserts, Ice cream