It's been a while since I've visited Estela's Fresh Sandwiches, one of my favorite sandwich destinations in San Francisco. But when I found out a friend of mine is moving, I insisted that she simply couldn't leave the city without ever having gone to Estela's.
Though I normally shy away from sandwiches served on focaccia, this bread was perfect: pillowy soft and flavorful but not at all oily. What I really loved, however, was the giant mound of shredded parmesan, which gave the sandwich a sharp, cheesy crunch. Find out how to re-create it now.
- 1 thick slice of focaccia bread
Dijon mustard, for spreading
balsamic vinaigrette, for drizzling
4 slices smoked turkey
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
A handful of pea sprouts
3 slices of tomato, 1/2 an inch thick
- With a sharp bread knife, slice the focaccia in half horizontally to create a top and bottom half.
- Cover the bottom half with Dijon mustard and drizzle the top half with balsamic vinaigrette until the bread is soaked.
- On the bottom half, stack smoked turkey, then evenly distribute the shredded cheese on top of the turkey.
- Carefully lay pea sprouts over cheese, then cover with tomato slices. Place top half of focaccia vinaigrette side down and serve.
Makes 1 sandwich.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches