- 4 cups stale (but not dry) white bread slices, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 large ripe mangoes, peeled (see Tip) and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (3 cups)
2 cups fat-free milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons light or dark rum, (optional)
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground black peppercorns
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Position rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 350ºF. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Toss bread cubes and mangoes together in the baking dish.
- Whisk milk, eggs, rum (if using), brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, ginger, pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Pour over the bread and mangoes; allow the mixture to soak for about 5 minutes.
- Bake the pudding until it is set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 1/4 hours. Serve warm for best flavor.
Makes 8 servings of 1/2 cup each.
Nutritional information per serving: 164 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 180 mg sodium; 228 mg potassium.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Casseroles
- North American