- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium yellow onions, halved and cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1 tablespoon dried Sicilian oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and onions and stir vigorously to avoid scorching. Add the oregano and season with salt and pepper. Continue stirring until the onions have a deep brown color.
- Reduce the heat and continue to cook until the onions are soft, 30 to 45 minutes. Use immediate or refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Makes 2 cups.
- Vegetables, Side Dishes