Use the red wine sea salt as a finishing touch on rich meats, seafood, and robustly flavored vegetables, such as brussels sprouts.
- 1 bottle of robust red wine, such as Syrah, Red Zinfandel, or Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1-1 1/2 cups of fleur de sel
- In a small saucepan, bring the wine to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook until thick but not syrupy, and about a tablespoon of liquid remains. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add 1 cup of salt to the pot, and stir gently to combine. If the salt doesn't absorb all of the wine reduction, keep adding salt until all of the liquid is absorbed, up to 1 1/2 cups salt.
- Spread the salt on a parchment-covered baking sheet to dry. (This may take a couple days.)
- Store in an airtight jar.
- Other, Condiments/Sauces
- About 1 cup salt