- 1/2 teaspoon powdered saffron or 20 threads
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped onion
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 cups homemade or canned low-sodium chicken stock, heated
- Remove 1/2 cup of the heated chicken stock to a small bowl; stir in saffron, and set aside. Keep the remaining stock warm in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Combine 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, and stir to coat with the butter mixture. Stir in the wine and cook, stirring continuously, until the wine evaporates, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the saffron broth and cook, allowing the rice to absorb it, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition and allowing the rice to absorb after each addition before adding more. Cook until the rice is tender (but not mushy), about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan, remaining tablespoon butter, and drizzle with olive oil. Serve immediately.
- Side Dishes, Rice