- 1 orange
- 1 lb. fresh or thawed cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 green cardamom pods, smashed
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 small jalapeño, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. port
- Heat oven to 450°.
- Using a peeler, remove peel from the orange, taking off as little of the white pith as possible. Cut peel into very thin strips about 1 1⁄2" long. Squeeze juice from the orange; strain and reserve 1 tbsp. juice.
- In a bowl, combine peel, cranberries, sugar, olive oil, salt, cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon, and jalapeños. Toss and transfer to a parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
- Roast until cranberries begin to burst and release their juices, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer cranberry mixture to a bowl; stir in reserved orange juice and port. Let sit for at least 1 hour so that the flavors meld. Remove and discard cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon before serving.
Makes 2 cups.
- Other, Side Dishes
- North American