Matthew and I are huge eggplant fans, and we make roasted eggplant as a side dish at least once a week. We had some leftovers the other month, so I used it to make a sandwich. Let me tell you . . . It was SO good! Matthew kept asking me to make it again, so I took it as an opportunity to take photos and share it here, too! See the recipe, below, for the yummiest roasted eggplant and bell pepper sandwich with red onion and feta.
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, or Vegenaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 loaf of olive bread, sliced horizontally in 2-3 sections
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled or sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the eggplant and bell pepper slices on a large rimmed baking sheet, and rub both sides with olive oil. Season with paprika, salt, and pepper. Roast until golden and tender, 30 to 40 minutes, tossing once in between.
- Meanwhile, make the garlic aioli: whisk together the mayonnaise, garlic, and vinegar in a small bowl.
- Spread the garlic aioli on the bottom of the olive bread (toast it, if you like). Layer the roasted eggplant slices, bell pepper, red onion, and feta cheese on top. Top with the top half of the olive bread.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- North American
- 2 to 3 sandwiches