- 4 pounds red bell peppers (about 8 medium)
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon peppercorns
4 to 6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
Mild extra-virgin olive oil
- Roast the peppers over the flame of a gas stove or in a broiler until the skins are blackened and blistered.
- Put them in a paper bag and roll it up tightly, or in a bowl, covered snugly with a kitchen towel. When cool enough to handle, peel off the skin, cut in half lengthwise, and remove and discard the stem and seeds. Slice lengthwise into strips about 1/2 inch wide.
- Pack the peppers into a clean 1 1/2-pint jar, sprinkling peppercorns, garlic, salt, and oregano throughout.
- Pour in olive oil to cover completely. Cover rightly and store for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
Makes about 3 cups.
- North American