- 1 dried mild chile, such as Ancho
½ cup olive oil
1 slice white bread
1/3 cup almonds, toasted
1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
1 roasted red pepper, peeled and seeded
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Pinch salt and pepper
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Place the chile in hot water and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. Remove the stems and reserve the water.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a sauté pan. Fry the bread slice until golden on both sides.
- Place the chile, bread, almonds, and garlic in a processor and pulse quickly. Add the roasted pepper, paprika, salt, and pepper and puree to form a chunky paste.
- Add vinegar. Add the oil slowly as for a mayonnaise. Adjust seasonings and add reserved liquid as needed to reach proper consistency.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
- Other, Condiments/Sauces