I wasn't able to celebrate Oktoberfest in Munich this year, but I still wanted to bring the holiday's festivities to my home. I wound up making a German-inspired dish with sauerkraut, smoked sausage, and beer. Even though I used smoked beef sausage, you could easily use knockwurst, bratwurst, kielbasa, or any other sausage link. For a sweeter edge, add a few tablespoons of brown sugar into the mix (I prefer savory dishes, so I left this out). Best of all, the rest of the beer is yours to drink while making it! To get the basic, no-brainer recipe,
- 1 pound sauerkraut, rinsed
- 12 ounces beer, any variety
- 6 links (about 16 ounces) smoked sausage
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Place the mixture in a casserole dish. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350°F for 90 minutes.
Serves 6 to 8.
- Main Dishes, Beef