- 1 28-ounce can of whole tomatoes (preferably San Marzanos)
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large clove of garlic, peeled
- Empty tomatoes into a large sauce pan, and over medium-high heat, add salt and olive oil.
- Fill one-third of the tomato can with water, and add to the pot.
- Grate garlic into the pot and stir.
- Let tomatoes cook down for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally and pressing tomatoes into the side of the pot with your spoon to break them apart.
- Remove from the heat when the sauce is no longer watery and the tomatoes have broken down.
- North American
- Makes 2-3 cups