- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds)
3 tablespoons olive oil
8 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup lime juice (about 5 limes)
1 fresh bay leaf
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Brown the chicken. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the chicken pieces in batches if necessary, skin side down, and cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 7 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook the second side until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer all browned chicken to slow cooker.
- Deglaze the pan. Pour off all but about 1 tablespoon of fat from the frying pan, and return the pan to medium-high heat. Add the onions, and sauté until just barely golden brown. Add garlic to the onions, and sauté for a couple more minutes, until the onions are golden and the garlic is fragrant.
- Pour in orange and lime juices. Raise the heat to high, bring to a boil, and deglaze the pan, stirring to scrape up the browned bits on the pan bottom. Pour the contents of the pan over the chicken.
- Cook the chicken. Add the bay leaf, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook on high heat setting for 2 1/2 hours or low heat setting for 5 hours. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Transfer the chicken to a serving dish. Season the sauce to taste with salt and a generous amount of pepper. Spoon the onions and sauce over the chicken.
- Poultry, Main Dishes
- North American
- 6 to 8 servings