- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 4 lb boneless pork shoulder
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and freshly group pepper
- soft sandwich rolls, toasted
- Lemon Cole Slaw
- Brown the pork. In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the pork and brown well on all sides about 20 minutes total. Transfer the pork to the slow cooker.
- Make the sauce and cook the pork. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from frying pan and return the pan to a medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until golden about 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar and deglaze the pan, stirring to scrape up the browned bits on the pan bottom. Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally, just until the mixture begins to bubble.
- Pour over the pork. Cover and cook on high heat setting for 4-5 hours or low heat setting for 8-10 hours. The pork should be very tender.
- Shred the pork and serve. Serve the pork on toasted sandwich rolls topped with cole slaw.
- Main Dishes, Pork