- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 8- to 10-ounce red onions, cut into 1/3-inch-thick rounds
- 3 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 cups trimmed large arugula leaves (about 4 ounces), divided
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 8 1/3-inch-thick slices seeded wheat bread (such as La Brea Bakery) or four ciabatta rolls, cut horizontally in half
- 12 ounces thinly sliced smoked turkey
- 3/4 cup coarsely crumbled blue cheese (such as Maytag; about 3 ounces)
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until soft and lightly browned, breaking up onion rings, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Chop enough arugula to measure 1 cup; place in medium bowl. Mix in mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper. Spread about 11/2 tablespoons arugula mayonnaise over each cut side of bread. Divide turkey slices among 4 bread slices. Top with crumbled blue cheese, dividing equally. Top with red onions, then whole arugula leaves and bread.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- North American