The change of seasons may bring to mind shorter hemlines and a rededication to the gym, but it also means that the opportunity to indulge in a favorite balmy-weather treat — s'mores — is just around the corner. Sadly, it's not quite prime bonfire and grilling weather yet, even in Northern California, so I've come up with a fix to tide us over till then: a s'mores-inspired snack (OK, dessert) mix.
Now, I'd like to take credit for this rather clever idea, but that would be disingenuous; inspiration first struck after tasting a sample of Mama Mellace S'mores Snack Mix at the Fancy Food Show. Tasty, but a hair too sweet, and lacking the salty-sweet punch I so crave, this snack mix was on the right track but not quite as delightful as it could be. So, like any good test cook, I set out to re-create it the way my taste buds intended.
I may have a raging sweet tooth but still found Mama Mellace's version to be overwhelmingly sugary, so inspired by a favorite higher-cacao milk chocolate, I doctored the mellow milk-chocolate drizzle that binds it all together with a handful of dark chocolate. A pinch of flaky sea salt and a generous handful of itty-bitty marshmallows rounded out the experiment, and just like that a devilishly good treat was born.
- 4 cups Golden Grahams cereal
- 5 ounces milk chocolate, such as Dove, chopped
- 1 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 1 heaping cup mini marshmallows
- Line a half-sheet pan with parchment paper or silpat.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Meanwhile, spread the Golden Grahams out in a single, even layer covering the surface of the prepped half-sheet pan.
- Drizzle the chocolate (as evenly as possible) over the cereal. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and the marshmallows.
- Allow to cool completely, then break into pieces and devour or store in an airtight container.
- Desserts, Mixes
- About 7 cups of snack mix