The tomato sauce can be made ahead or cooked while the spaghetti squash and mushrooms are roasting. To make this recipe vegan, simply replace the butter in the tomato sauce recipe with Earth Balance or olive oil and skip the parmesan cheese.
- 1 (3 1/2 pounds) spaghetti squash
1 pound mushrooms, stems removed, quartered
1 batch (3 3/4 cups) easy tomato sauce
Grated parmesan, optional
Handful of parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with nonstick foil.
- Halve spaghetti squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Rub oil on the outsides and insides of spaghetti squash halves. Generously salt the insides, and place flesh side down on a foil-lined pan.
- Toss mushrooms in oil. Scatter on a foil-lined pan, and generously salt.
- Roast spaghetti squash for about 1 hour, or until you can easily pierce squash shell with a fork. Roast mushrooms for 40 minutes, or until mushrooms appear caramelized, tossing once halfway through cooking time.
- Meanwhile, cook or reheat tomato sauce.
- Scrape out strands of spaghetti squash. Divide between 4 plates. Top with a generous amount of tomato sauce. Garnish with more salt, roasted mushrooms, parmesan (optional), and parsley.
- Main Dishes
- North American
- 4 servings
- Total Time
- 59 minutes, 59 seconds