- 5 ounces thick-cut bacon, sliced into quarter inch pieces
13 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1-2 fresh jalapeno, finely chopped, seeded if desired
5-7 sprigs oregano
2 14-ounce cans of diced tomatoes
salt and pepper
1 bunch of asparagus, roughly chopped
1 pound spaghetti
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Put the bacon into a fry pan. Fry over low heat, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes or until the bacon is browned and the fat has rendered. Spoon off all but 3 tablespoons of fat.
- Increase the heat and add the mushrooms and shallots. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms have softened and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the garlic, chile, oregano, chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer stirring occasionally for about 25-30 minutes until thick and rich. About ten minutes prior to sauce finishing, top with the asparagus and allow to cook. Taste as season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- While the sauce cooks down, fill a large pot with cold water and bring to boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt and cook the spaghetti until it is al dente. Drain in a colander.
- In a serving bowl, add pasta and 2 tablespoons of butter and top with sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately
Serves 4-6 people.
- Pasta, Main Dishes
- North American