Have you ever made stovetop hot chocolate? Not from a mix, but just a few simple ingredients heated in a small pan on the stove. It's truly not any more difficult than mixing up a cup of hot chocolate from a mix. Well, perhaps slightly more involved, but really not much. For the record, I'm not opposed to mixes. I love the variety of flavors that come out in the stores during the holidays. French vanilla, mint, caramel — all of them are fabulous. But the truth of the matter is, I don't always keep a mix on hand out of pure laziness.
But that doesn't mean that I don't crave a creamy cup of cocoa quite often during the chilly months. And on a Friday night, that creamy, chocolaty mug becomes a fabulous base for a simple cocktail.
This stovetop spiked hot chocolate is simply a starter recipe for any of your favorite spirits. Rum, flavored vodka, cinnamon schnapps — all are good options. It's simply whole milk, a splash of half and half with some good quality cocoa powder, and confectioners sugar that creates a smooth, intensely creamy cup of cocoa.
It's one of my favorites this time of year. Curling up on the couch with a mug of this stovetop spiked hot chocolate is my definition of a good night. Well, it would be a perfect night if I was watching my newest DVR'd Christmas movie.
Tell me I'm not the only one who gets sucked into those movies. Is it just me? Well, watch what you'd like, but make yourself and your sweetie a mug of this hot chocolate, and you're in for a great night.
- 12 ounces whole milk
- 4 ounces half and half
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 ounces spiced rum or marshmallow vodka
- Minimarshmallows, for garnish
- In a saucepan, warm the milk, half and half, and cinnamon stick. Once the mixture is heated, remove the cinnamon stick, add the unsweetened cocoa powder and powdered sugar, and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat, and add the rum or vodka.
- Divide between two mugs, and top with a few marshmallows.
- Drinks, Hot Drinks
- Serves 2
- Cook Time
- 10 minutes