Typically when we go to Dolores Park on a sunny day, everyone brings a bottle (or two, or three) of wine. However, since this picnic is a plan-ahead event — rather than the normal impromptu affair — I'm making a special drink. Fresh-squeezed lemonade comes to mind when I hear the word picnic and this blushing pink version is prefect because it's spiked with vodka and sour cherries. It's a refreshing concoction that screams Summer. If you prefer not to imbibe alcohol, simply omit the vodka and enjoy the cherry lemonade on its own.
To check out the recipe, please
- 2 lb fresh or thawed frozen sour cherries (1 qt), stemmed and pitted
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 to 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vodka (optional)
- 2 to 3 cups chilled sparkling water
- fresh sour cherries with stems, garnish
- Blend cherries in a blender at low speed until skins have broken down enough to brightly color liquid.
- Pour through a sieve into a 2-quart pitcher, pressing on and discarding solids. Add lemon juice and sugar (to taste), stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour 3 tablespoons vodka (if using) into each of 8 tall (10-ounce) glasses filled with ice. Add 1/2 cup cherry lemonade to each and top off with sparkling water.
Make ahead: Sour cherry lemonade can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- Drinks, Cocktails
- North American